Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
The Villages Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
If you or a loved one has suffered nursing home neglect or abuse, contact Babiarz Law Firm, P.A. for a free consultation regarding your potential case with experienced nursing home abuse lawyers in The Villages.
Nursing home abuse can come in many forms, including neglect resulting in bed sores, falls resulting in fractures or head injuries, malnutrition, dehydration, severe illnesses and/or infection; or even death. Prescription errors and failure to render adequate medical care can also cause devastating consequences. Tragically, Elder abuse can also take the form of physical, verbal; or sexual abuse.
Babiarz Law Firm, P.A. handles cases in the Tri-County area, Sumter, Lake and Marion Counties, as well as all counties throughout Central Florida. We are conveniently located in The Villages®, Florida. Additionally, we can also come to you if it is more convenient -- we offer free hospital and home visits. Call us at (352) 205-7599 or contact our law firm online today for a free consultation with The Villages Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Tim Babiarz.
What are the Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?
As The Villages nursing home abuse lawyers at our firm know all too well, abuse against the elderly often involves physical abuse, such as hitting, burning, pushing, kicking, scratching, or otherwise causing physical harm. This type of abuse can be identified by unexplained cuts and bruises, broken bones, broken glasses or torn clothing, burn marks, and other physical signs of abuse. When seniors show signs of fear around a particular caregiver, this could also be a sign of physical abuse.
Emotional abuse is another common type of abuse, but it is more difficult to identify when this wrongful behavior is occurring. If a senior experiences mood changes, depression, or a loss of interest in activities and hobbies, this could be an indicator that emotional abuse is occurring. Emotional abusers may take steps to isolate seniors and cut them off from sources of help, so this is something else to watch for.
Chemical restraint is another form of abuse that is common in nursing homes. If a senior is given antipsychotic medications to make the senior docile and easier to care for, this is an indicator of chemical abuse. It can be dangerous, as antipsychotic medications can interact poorly with other drugs seniors may be taking for health conditions.
Sexual abuse also occurs among seniors, more commonly than many would believe. A diagnosis of an STD, missing clothing, or redness around the genital areas is an indicator that this type of abuse is happening.
Finally, neglect can be considered a form of abuse as well. If a senior is dehydrated, malnourished, has bed sores, is not being provided medication, or is not having basic hygiene needs met, these are red flags of neglect.
Abuse victims and their families should also consult with an experienced attorney to get help taking legal action to hold abusers accountable. The Villages nursing home abuse lawyers at Babiarz Law Firm can help you to pursue a claim against caregivers, nursing homes, and others responsible for causing harm.
Bed Sores: A Common Case for The Villages Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
Bed sores and pressure sores -- also known as decubitus ulcers -- are among the most-common injuries suffered in nursing homes. Resulting from prolonged periods of immobility and other factors, bed sores can also be extremely dangerous, with severe ulcers requiring surgery and having the potential to lead to fatal complications.
With appropriate care, bed sores are preventable. In fact, in nursing homes, bed sores should not happen. If you or a senior loved one living in a nursing home appears to have a pressure ulcer, you should seek medical attention promptly, and we encourage you to contact us for a free consultation about your legal rights with our qualified nursing home abuse lawyers.
Signs and Symptoms of Decubitus Ulcers (Bed Sores)
Bed sores and pressure ulcers are classified in stages – Stage I through Stage IV. Each stage is characterized by progressively-worsening symptoms, and seeking treatment as soon as possible can be critical to minimizing the painful and damaging effects of these nursing home injuries. Unfortunately, in many cases seniors living in nursing homes are unable to get the treatment they need quickly, and family members will often be unaware that their loved ones are suffering without the help they need from their caregivers. Nursing home staff who are to blame for residents’ bed sores may also attempt to hide the symptoms, and may even tell residents not to seek outside help.
The signs and symptoms of pressure ulcers typically include:
- Stage I – A red, purple or blue patch of skin that does not turn white when pressed; tenderness or itching at the injury site; skin that feels warm, cold or firm.
- Stage II – An open sore or abrasion on the surface of the skin; minor swelling; continued discoloration; oozing.
- Stage III – A crater-like injury that extends below the surface of the skin; yellowing of the skin tissue; pain and discoloration extending beyond the initial injury site.
- Stage IV – Deepening of the injury to the muscle, bone, tendon or joint below the skin; exposed muscle or bone; dry or dead skin tissue.
How The Villages Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers at Our Firm Help Victims of Neglect and Abuse
At the Babiarz Law Firm, PA, we bring more than 20 years’ experience to helping seniors who are suffering due to nursing home neglect and abuse. When you contact us for help:
- We can provide referrals to trusted physicians in The Villages or Central Florida’s other retirement communities.
- We can help get you or your loved one out of an abusive nursing home.
- We can provide you with information about other nursing homes and various long-term care alternatives.
- We can help you seek financial compensation for you or your loved one’s medical expenses, pain and suffering; and other losses.
Our services always begin with a free, no-obligation consultation, and we do not charge any legal fees unless we secure a financial recovery. To speak with attorney Tim Babiarz in confidence, please call (352) 205-7599 or send us your contact information online today. Located in The Villages, we help seniors injured in nursing homes throughout Central Florida.
Elder Care Resources in Florida:
- Department of Elder Affairs http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/
- On Guard for Seniors www.myflorida.CFO.com/onguard
- Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida, Inc. www.CLSMF.org/
- Marion County Health Department www.MCHD.com/www.doh.state.fl.us/chdmarion/indes.htm/
- Marion County Senior Services www.mcseniorservices.org
- Elder Care Locator www.eldercare.gov