When a car accident happens, it's important to take the right steps after the accident both to protect your health and to protect your legal rights. Attorney Tim Babiarz, The Villages auto crash lawyer, can help you take the necessary actions after a motor vehicle crash to ensure that you are able to hold the driver who caused the accident responsible for your losses.
Contacting an attorney can be very important after an auto accident. If you or someone you love is involved in a crash, you are encouraged to get help with learning how to make an accident claim and to get assistance with putting together a strong claim for compensation.
While you should make sure to get legal help as soon as possible after a crash has happened, it's also important that you know exactly what to do in the immediate aftermath of an accident. Some of the key steps that you need to take after a crash include the following:
- Stop at the crash scene. You are required by law to stop for accidents involving property damage or injury, or if someone was killed in the accident. You and the other drivers involved in the crash should all stop your vehicles to exchange contact information and insurance information.
- Contact the police: Motor vehicle collisions should be reported to the police. A peace officer will likely come to the scene of the crash to take your report and make an assessment of how the crash happened. The police report from the accident scene could be important evidence later as you make a car accident claim if there is a dispute over who caused the crash to occur.
- Call your insurer: Your insurer needs to be notified of the accident. Depending upon the circumstances, you could receive compensation for crash losses either from your own insurer or from the insurer of the other driver who caused the accident to occur. If you do not promptly notify your insurer, you could jeopardize your accident claim.
- Take photographs at the scene: You may need to be able to prove exactly how your accident happened in order to be able to obtain compensation from the other driver for crash losses. Photos from the crash scene could serve as important evidence demonstrating how the accident occurred.
- Seek medical assistance: It's important to talk with a doctor even if you believe that the accident only caused you to sustain minor injuries. Some injuries, like whiplash or internal bleeding, may not manifest outward symptoms immediately or may not appear as serious as they actually are. You need a medical professional to identify any potential health issues that were caused by the accident so you can get the care that you need and so you can ensure that you have documentation that the crash was the cause of the injuries sustained in the accident.
As soon as practicable following a collision, you can reach out to The Villages auto crash lawyer to get help in gathering evidence, dealing with insurers, and taking the necessary steps to maximize the chances that you will be able to obtain fair compensation to cover crash losses. Contact Babiarz Law Firm, P.A. today to find out how we can help you.